Update: Megyn Kelly and NBC have officially severed their relationship. The two entities reached a separation agreement that they announced late on Friday, January 11.
“The parties have resolved their differences, and Megyn Kelly is no longer an employee of NBC,” the network said in a statement
While the terms were not disclosed, multiple outlets report that she will be paid out the remainder of her $69 million contract, to the tune of some $30 million.
This story was originally published on October 26, 2018.
According to a spokesperson for NBC News, Megyn Kelly’s talk show is officially canceled.
” Megyn Kelly Today is not returning,” said the spokesperson in a statement to Refinery29. “Next week, the 9 a.m. hour will be hosted by other TODAY co-anchors.”
This post was originally published on October 25, 2018.
Earlier this week, the controversial host of Megyn Kelly Today took to her talk show to discuss the (unfortunately all too common) use of Blackface in Halloween costumes, a practice that Kelly stated she did not consider racist “as long as you were dressing up as like a character.”
The internet response was swift, as, yes: Blackface is always racist. This backlash seemingly prompted an on-air apology from Kelly, who addressed the controversial comments on her show Wednesday.
“I want to begin with two words: I’m sorry,” she told the camera. “The country feels so divided and I have no wish to add to that pain and offense. I believe this is a time for more understanding, more love, more sensitivity and honor…Thank you for listening and for helping me listen, too.”
Alas, it seems the damage is done. On Thursday, per The New York Times, a rerun of Megyn Kelly Today replaced a new live show, with the same scheduled for Friday. Now, a report from TMZ claims that Kelly is officially out, and that she hopes to collect $50 million from the network.
According to the report, NBC was paying Kelly $25 million dollars annually for her work. The host reportedly had a three-year contract for Megyn Kelly Today, and, per TMZ, expects to rake in $50 million from NBC as she currently is just two months shy of two years left on her contract.
Per the report, Kelly believes that she was treated with “gross unfairness” as other talent who made insensitive remarks were not punished. Because of the circumstance, should NBC not pay out her salary, Kelly may sue, TMZ claims.
Refinery29 has reached out to representatives for Kelly and to NBC for comment.
This news comes after The Hollywood Reporter stated that Kelly was reportedly dropped as a client by her agency, CAA, due to her comments.
Click HERE to read more from Refinery29