The stuff isn’t exactly known for being sippable, nor is it in possession of any real flavor of its own (unless you count burning as a flavor). But, the thing is, moonshine's supposed flaws are what make it perfect for cocktails. Having no oaky, smoky, or spicy notes — but plenty of bite — white whiskey is a perfect base for cocktails that highlight the flavors of seasonal, summery fruit.
Below, you’ll find three fresh and fruity moonshine cocktails perfect for sipping at your next BBQ or while swinging in a hammock on hot summer days.
Makes 1 cocktail
With nectary peach juice and fizzy ginger beer, this cocktail is a boozy slice of pie in a glass.
1 oz peach juice
1 oz moonshine
High-quality ginger beer (such as Reed’s), for topping
A slice of fresh ginger and a slice of fresh peach (for garnish)
1. Throw a handful of ice in a cocktail shaker. Add in juice and moonshine and agitate until the walls of the shaker are too cold to handle.
2. Strain into a coupe glass and top with ginger beer.
3. Garnish with ginger and peach slices
This colorful, frozen concoction is almost too pretty to drink. Frozen pineapple and Maraschino cherries give this beverage a tropical and summery feel. These bad boys contain a good bit of white whisky and a healthy pour of prosecco, making them perfect for (heavy) alfresco drinking with friends.
1 cup prosecco
1/2 cup of moonshine
2 cups frozen pineapple
2 cups ice
1 tbsp honey
Pineapple slices, for garnish
Maraschino cherries, for garnish
1-2 tbsp Maraschino cherry liquid
1. In a blender, add all ingredients except Maraschino liquid and garnishes. Blend until smooth and frosty.
2. Spoon a tablespoon or two of Maraschino liquid into a wine or hurricane glass.
3. Slowly pour the slush over the liquid and watch as the deep red cherry juice swirls through the frosty beverage.
4. Top with your fruit garnishes and enjoy through a straw.
Black Moon Arnold Palmer
Makes 1 cocktail
This virgin classic, infused with blackberries and moonshine, gets a “hoochy” makeover.
3-4 fresh blackberries
1 1/2 oz moonshine
2 oz lemonade
2 oz iced tea
Fresh mint and extra berries, for garnish
1. Muddle berries with a cocktail shaker. Add ice.
2. Pour in moonshine, lemonade, and tea. Shake vigorously until well-chilled.
3. Strain into a lowball over crushed ice.
4. Garnish with whole berries and mint leaves
Click HERE to read more from Refinery29