• 2 cups cubed Italian bread, about half of one small loaf
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 2 cups mixed salad greens
• 12 cherry tomatoes
• ½ red onion, thinly sliced
• ½ cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips
• ¼ cup Gaeta or Niçoise olives
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
• salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• ¼ cup thick shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano
1• Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, toss cubed bread with ¼ cup olive oil. Spread the bread evenly on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until golden, about 5-10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
2• In a salad bowl, combine salad greens, cherry tomatoes, sliced onions, basil, and olives.
3• In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss the dressing mixture with the salad mixture and season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, toss in the shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano.